Sunday, October 12, 2014

What I learned when #Ferguson came to #Shaw

Here’s what I learned when #Ferguson came to #Shaw last night.

  1. #Ferguson will likely spawn some political leaders who will be elected to regional offices during the next decade. There are some really passionate individuals who also have charisma, good judgement and determination. That’s a winning combination for electability. I hope some of them transition successfully beyond #Ferguson. Keep your eyes open for @Nettaaaaaaaa.
  1. The #Ferguson movement is fizzling. It  now lacks an identifiable focus. It is all over town, its mainly about the fear and anger of the participants and all the haranguing of those in my Twitter feed has begun to sound desperate and pleading. Bassem Masri wasn’t able to get a single supporter to help him storm SLU hospital where @HotepTNT was being held “hostage” despite      multiple emergency tweets. Also, in the middle of the march on South Grand the Cardinal protests organizer and live streamer Mustafa Hussein (Theodore Barrett) was exposed by @ChuckCJohnson to be a registered sex offender, child molester and all around psychopathic bad guy. Ouch!
  1. #Ferguson is unable to fully capitalize on new events. They showed up in Shaw but if you hadn’t heard the news you wouldn’t have learned ANYTHING about Vonderrit Myers at the protest. Vonderrit is already a ghost, the coda for #Ferguson.
  1. My respect for the St. Louis Police Department went through the roof last night. They were cool and professional under some really stressful abuse. I’m a law abider for the most part so I don’t usually have a problem with the popo but I do get the issues. I was young once with waist length hair and I know exactly what it means to get locked up for walking home late at night after work with long hair. Twice. And that was even with me remaining calm and respectful, not      talking back or resisting. I get it.
  1. I love my neighborhood even more. We were solid last night. Mostly people stayed in but some folks were out at local drinking establishments, others were out walking, some paying respects, some looking. There were several church services and the one I attended (I know, right?!!!!!!) was inspirational, loving, thoughtful. We did good and we looked good y’all.
  1. Even with the incredible Twitter storm of misinformation and incitement from some in the #Ferguson crowd very little actually happened. I walked around much of the night and there were protesters. There were people from Ferguson looking to create a situation. But there were lots of locals out watching the show, looking for some late night entertainment in 3-D.
  1. I made the right decision when I bought into St. Louis. I already knew that though.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts. I've really enjoyed going back and reading your old posts. Honest and touching. We're moving to a rehab on Botanical in 24 days and look forward to meeting you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Denise. Welcome to the neighborhood and I too look forward to meeting you.

    ReplyDelete